Thursday 10 October 2013

What makes a good educator?

Education has and never will be static.  Every teacher knows about the need to self improve, change, adapt and challenge ( even those who as another colleague says are 'in the departure lounge') As I age and become a very very experienced teacher my philosophy on change and self improvement is also growing and with that I can see and to some extent appreciate the point of view of some teachers out there.  Already in my career we have gone full circle on some classroom ideas and policies, we have been subjected to the idiocies of policy makers who wish to place their own stamp on our education system.  Are things really improving? Are some children still failing? Are the demands on teachers unrealistic? And will  twitter, couches and bean bags, gadgets and blogs alter that? Is our push any different to those of those before us?

In my first year of teaching I had the latest ideas from teachers college, I was keen on the new ideas of the mid 90s and I was determined to make a difference - word processed worksheets, learning centres, task boards etc and I know I looked upon a few of my older colleagues with bewilderment - they weren't doing these things, how could they be so lazy and uninspiring - didn't they want the best for their kids? Looking back there are the 1 or 2 who really were in the wrong career but my views are changing in regards to a couple of others. 
So the classroom environments they taught in we're boring by my standards, their teaching approach old fashioned and yet the kids in their classrooms loved them, made progress and still now remember with fondness their names. And it comes down to relationships! They loved their jobs and they loved the kids. They listened, built relationships and made every child in that classroom feel important. They found what made the most difficult of children special. They found the very essence of what makes education so rewarding. They took time. And they did it while being pushed by management and wearing the scorn of some of their colleagues for not moving forward.
When I think about the teachers who have the most profound effect on my daughter it isn't so much about the frills  (and yes there is a place for those) it was about the teacher who spent 15 minutes every morning reading with her to help with her biggest weakness. It was about the teacher who gave her a cuddle every morning and welcomed her to the day.  And incendently both of those teachers were not flash on ICT, inquiry or 3way conferences- I thought that mattered at the time - how wrong I was.

It is important to move with the times, it is important to ensure that our children have access to technology but most importantly it is imperative that our children have access to educators who develop relationships with them and make them feel valued and important. 
For those of us out there who are early adaptors and expect others to do the same - continue ...-the world needs us to push the boundaries and redifine the outcomes for students but let's do it with tact and integrity to our colleagues who don't necessarily move in our circles but have still found the key ingredient. 

"A teacher takes a hand, opens a mind and touches a heart" author unknown

" one looks back in appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary  raw material, but warmth is the vital element for growth and soul of a child"  Carl Jung 

Yes I do think there is importance in MLE's, I will continue to enjoy the learning and support twitter provides and I would be lost without iPads in education however these will only be effective if there is heart behind their use and delivery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment