Tuesday 29 October 2013

When ticking a box outweighs common sense


I really do try hard to be a good person.  I try to make sure that I treat people well and well today it was beyond me.

We had an inspection at school today and we failed.  According to our inspector we had not been performing monthly building checks since 2011.  Well since he signed us off in 2012 I thought that was strange.    So there was a lot of stress on his behalf and he quickly did some staff training so that even though we failed we would be compliant - how that works I do not understand and how silly that 15 minutes of training could make up for 2 years of no maintenance check?  This puzzled me and I went through our book - sure enough there were our monthly checks dating back from 2005 until the current day.   Well he said when he looked he couldn't find them!!! and they aren't in the right book so I am not going to accept them.

Are you serious!  We are a small school, we work hard to do the right thing and surely actually doing the checks is more important than signing the correct book.    - Well apparently not.
What happened to our friend common sense? - his loss is profound and the impact vast.

And perhaps what I should add is that he was a lovely guy, just trying to do his job but so much time was wasted on ticking off something in a box that should have been irrelevant.


No comments:

Post a Comment