Saturday 22 February 2014

When all your ducks line up

Without sounding conceted, I know that my passion for education and student learning has been driven by my goals and an understanding of what I want and need to see happen.   That drive and determination has been labelled in both a positive and negative light but it's been my motivation and light at the end of the tunnel. For those of you who resonate with this and are goal driven, you will understand my bewilderment when in 2013 I was unable to see my next steps and goals.  I was no longer an FTP, our school no longer needed huge change theory and well it was suggested that my next goal should be to sustain the changes and embed the new culture.  It felt like standing still (something I don't do well).   The confusion and fog light feeling was compounded by my need to fill the gaps. I did online study - which was one do the best courses I have ever done, our school participated in incredible years, ALL, maths PLD and LCN.  I became a Rotarian, joined a few committees, consulted with other schools and none of it really matched.   In trying to keep things stable I completely lost my way.  Sure we did achieve a lot but it didn't all fit together and  2014 looked as if it were heading the same way until 2 very exciting days of PLD. 
Firstly I met with a small cluster of teaching principals and together as a team we stuck to our guns.  Teaching principals are unique... Because of our role there are things we do with ease and other things that take time.  And much of the PLD offered is not tailored for us.  Well not any more.  We have formed a PLG with a focus on achieving accelerated learning in writing.  From this goal we have pulled in the support of various agencies - leadership and assessment, literacy advisor, LCN facilitators to work with us.  With their support we will be able to deepen our pedagogical knowledge, challenge our literacy beliefs and develop student agency.    Suddenly I am back on track.  I am challenging myself again and have this amazing team to work alongside with.  
The notion of student agency is brilliant. Learners understanding what they need to do to improve their relationships and skills, learners demanding the context and teachers facilitating that learning all with parents alongside.   - I have a goal and a vision.  I have colleagues I respect and trust to work with. I have a team of professionals to critique current practice and I have my belief back.  The ducks are starting to line up.     The work we are doing within our school links back to this. My own study relates to this and our movement forward is very clear. 
Then today I spent the day with this group of phenomenal educators at educamp rotorua.  Here in a room of 30plus teachers I saw some amazing classroom ideas. Some things we can do to move along the digital learning pathway and how that might look to parents and students.  More ducks have lined up.   And best of all we made connections, had conversations and were able to openly share our passions and enthusiasm.  
In the past two days I have worked with colleagues who want to move forward and experiment.... No one rolling their eyes in the corner, no one putting up the barriers! 

I'm back on track and ready to roll!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment