Saturday 2 March 2013

All work and no play....

Makes me a very narrow minded person. But there is just so much to do and a very small window of opportunity to achieve it all.
It was with relief last week that I spoke with a group of principals who were feeling much like me.. A sea of paperwork, an ever growing list and the feeling of exhaustion so early in the term..

Breaking my leg has not helped matters as by 4pm I am almost unable to process any thoughts rationally, the pain killers definitely dull the brain and it takes so much effort to do the simplest of tasks.

I briefly questioned my decision to study and the time spent on that vs time for management ... However I am enjoying formal learning again and ultimately it will have an impact on my leadership.

The big problem has been that I am so immobile and that has made it difficult to relax and escape the thoughts in my head.
Rather than allow time to tackle the paper war it seems to have added to my lists, compounded my frustration and feeling of inadequacy and has hindered my ability to switch off..

ENOUGH - yes I am a professional, yes I have big responsibilities on my shoulders but I am still a human and need to have a life...

So this weekend I spent all of Saturday fighting the compulsion to work and study. I gave in at 3pm and did some readings and study but not direct school work...
I forceably put my laptop, iPad, iPhone etc in another room and spent the evening watching movies with my kids ... I relaxed, I was tired and I was asleep by 10:30pm and slept most of the night. ( a rarity)

Leg wise movement is not pleasant and really I should be at home with my leg up but this morning I went and watched the trial bike ride... It was lovely to sit in the sun, have a sausage and drink with my kids and friends. Those three hours felt like weeks and again I feel relaxed and Sunday afternoon sleepy...
( often I wish to be tied to the couch but as soon as you are if becomes the last place you want to be!!!)

I am teaching tomorrow and yes I know what I am doing, I have things in place for kids to be learning .. I do not need to spend 6 hours today getting it sorted.

When did this happen? Why should teachers and leaders feel so much guilt for actually wanting to take their weekends...

It is time to make some changes and make sure that teachers are getting time out from being teachers and leaders and time to be themselves.

So heres to having a glimpse of a life and to re establishing and developing programmes within classrooms that allow teachers to be both teachers and real people ...

All rest and no play means my kids and family miss out
All rest and no play doesn't not make me better at my job







4 comments:

  1. well put Penny! I'm glad to read that you got out and enjoyed some 'you' time with the whanau. There's nothing like ticking all the boxes with teaching but we often neglect the really important stuff to achieve that. I think one of the best things that leaders can model is the 'work/life' balance - staff look to their leaders for this constantly and almost seek permission! My boss is always quick to share the fact that she went to the bach for the weekend and did only a few hours of work so that she could really relax. Keep chilling and remember - it's a long year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimberley - this is the very first comment I have had on a blog - I am pathetically excited - so thank you.
    Lets hope that tomorrow I still feel relaxed when I hit the ground one legged!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post!!! I took a no technology day yesterday and it felt great...my husband is much better at this than I am, so I am learning from him. It is awful that we are made to feel guilty for taking time to ourselves like no other profession. Every educator needs to read this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne I am awes that you can do no technology. Should be my next goal. Thanks for the positive comments

      Delete