Sunday 10 March 2013

Priorities

Sometimes in the madness it is easy to forget what our priorities are or more importantly which ones come first. There are times when the lines blur and I have made it my mission this year to think, evaluate and go with my priority.


This week I had some tough decisions to make around my own priorities between students needs, staff needs and parent needs.

On Tuesday morning when I opened the final sue report I actually cried. Between the previous Thursday and the phone calls that followed the Sue report had not improved and had actually worsened... The need to sort this for staff was huge but so to was my personal belief system of attending sports events. They are a great opportunity to communicate with parents and encourage our kids. A coffee later and my priority re checked I spent a great day watching our juniors in the pool and seniors take part in a leadership day.

The parent issue was not so easy but again I knew that my priority was with the children and their need for an advocate. It certainly won't 'win' me any friends but it will make a difference in the lives of those we serve and for that I offer no apologies.

There are so many times in the day and week when educators have to make decisions and prioritise. Often we are not thanked for the decisions we make and at times this hurts, but it is about holding your head high, hand on heart knowing that you made the best decision open to you at that moment.

For me it is about the kids. It will always be about the kids ... They are my priority. One teacher can make a difference and I will be that one!


On a personal level I am a people pleaser but in a leadership role that is not always possible. I have to be thick skinned and know that my friends are my friends and my job is my job.


So what is your priority and how do you stick to it?

1 comment:

  1. That's a shocker Penny. I've just blogged about why Steven Joyce should dump Novopay.

    http://howmelulaterseesit.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/why-steven-joyce-should-just-man-up-and.html

    ReplyDelete