Friday 22 March 2013

You care to much...

A phrase used to criticise me this week from professional agencies.
Of all the things I do or don't in my professional life I never imagined being told that I care too much.

Two incidents involving students have rocked my world this week. Both situations have literally made my stomach churn and my mind spin.

What counts though is how we as educators deal with the care and protection of those students, our staff who also have their worlds rocked, the agencies and legal side of the situation, the school and wider community and of course ourselves.

Over the course of the week I have spoken to various NZ agencies who are responsible for the care and well being of our young. In two situations I have been told that I need to be more objective and turn off from the situation.

I believe I have a care of duty to do the best I can for the children in my care. That does not mean turning off a 5pm because my day is over. 

In discussing this situation with other professionals, I am saddened and disturbed that this is such a common occurrence within schools and that many have become used to and hardened to circumstances beyond our control.
  








No comments:

Post a Comment