Monday 18 February 2013

Communicating in the big wide world

The challenge for this week is to communicate with new tools.

The first part of the challenge was to select an asynchronous tool and a synchronous tool and if possible use them with a partner.

The first problem - I am the shy girl in the corner who likes to work with people she knows; and I don't know anyone in my course - Sweaty palms, procrastination and OMG what am I going to now!

Synchronous tools are tools that allow you to communicate in 'real time' and often face to face.  
A tool that I am developing in this area is skype - especially skype messenger.  Skype messenger is like having a 'buddy'.  It is a quick, continuous and discrete way to communicate with others.  It saves time, and can link the isolated with the real world.  This is one tool that I rely on as a leader. This might change once I start skyping my way around the world and have to deal with time zones.
 At this stage it is very much a teacher tool.   Why am I not using it in the classroom?  I do not know but for some reason I just can't seem to get it started with the kids.  - why? parent expectation. It has taken 18months for parents to feel comfortable about the use of a school website and children's photos being on there.  The jury is still out on the benefits of e-portfolios, so I am a little hesitant about how skype might be received.   Having said that I am keen to try doing a novel study or book sharing adventure using skype - ??? any takers???

Asynchronous tools - dont happen at the same time - blogs, FB, Youtube ...   well most of us use these tools without thinking although I am aware the many of these tools are changing.  Google docs can be both real time and read later, and the same can be said for twitter.

After reading this chapter I am now looking forward to quad-blogging and putting some familiar and not so familiar tools into action.
This will also help with my very first problem of being the shy girl in the corner..




No comments:

Post a Comment