Friday 15 February 2013

Push and Pull

No this post isn't about using doors but about my new learning for this week; Push and Pull technology and developing my PLN
So I use google docs, I have a facebook and twitter a/c, email is a given and I am actively  connected with the world...  Well actually no I'm not.  I am actively connected virtually with the people that I was already actively connected with in the real world. 

Push and pull technology are new to me words and they have really challenged me this week.

So what is push and pull technology
Push technology is essentially us pushing a button to find information.   Searching for information is the main way we use push technologies.

Pull technology is where the information comes to us based on the threads we have set up. The information we are interested in comes to us and is available when we have time to read and interact with it.

What does that mean for me and my students
There were many aspects of pull technology that I was using in a limited way and during the past week I have started to 'reach out' and pull more people, blogs, articles towards me and my developing PLN.  But this takes time and I am feeling the pressure... some days I hardly have time to think.. let alone blog...  comment on other blogs and read the 460 RSS feeds that our now on my dashboard.    
The word Pull has taken on a new meaning...  while technology has now 'pulled' to me things of interest, readings that will enhance my leadership and teaching it has added another 'must do' to time that sometimes feels too pressured.  I love the conversations that happening on twitter but they have the ability to take over the conversations that are happening in my own home and the importance of family vs professional learning.
and then there is the just jump on in...  it feels a little funny to be sharing with others I have never met and do they really want to hear from me anyway -  yes this is how we develop and this is the attitude and opportunities we want for our kids but it needs to be something that is incorporated into our lives not on top of and that is something that I need to work on  as I develop my students are very much still on push technology into the world of Pull
 

No comments:

Post a Comment