Monday 4 February 2013

Oh my goodness - do my students feel like this


Educators are great at undertaking professional development in groups and clusters.   How good are some of us at going it alone?
This year I have decided to study and take part in the flat classroom project and it is something that I believe will be exciting for myself, other educators and our students.
BUT.....  it can suddenly become so overwhelming, not from pressure put on by others but the pressure we put on ourselves.  Course books, joining groups, words I have never heard before, using e-learning platforms that are new.  Is this how some of my students feel when I ask them to grab a draft writing book or add to their e-portfolios?
How do I reduce that pressure?  When does child responsibility kick in?  and how does our school day impact on students.?   I have just had my first online study session.  I am mindblown and now I need to think, reflect, re-read and take a few deep breathes.  As an adult I can do that but how does that work for students who can't stay at school after the day has ended just to wind down and reflect?   What access do they have to sharing their day and asking more questions?

I have no answers to any of those questions, just that feeling that my buttons have been pushed (in a good way) and suddenly I am a 5year old on their first day of school.    

1 comment:

  1. Haha - I love your analogy of being a 5 year old again! Sadly, the 5 year olds now seem so far ahead of us in terms of the digital world too. Isn't it funny that when we, as adults, are stretched in our own learning, we suddenly realise that this is what learning is for with everyone!

    ReplyDelete