Tuesday 19 February 2013

Frustration


                                                     Is anyone else feeling the burn?

Week 4 Term 1 - did we have a summer holiday?  It does feel like that some days.  I am not a 'newbie' principal anymore - the training wheels are off and there is a lot of shaking and swerving.  I have not applied the brakes as like many I am worried that once I stop I might not be able to get back on. - So what is the problem?
Classrooms are humming
Kids are happy
Teachers are awesome
Support staff - magic
Role - best its ever been

So where do the wheels fall off? why am I stressed? - for me it is the uncontrollable that should be controllable - to spend 7 hours on the phone to novopay - wait late at school for two non-replies and have to have 'that' conversation with staff who dont deserve it - it is taking its toll.   That is 7 hours that could have been spent on readings, assignments, spending time with kids, coaching and mentoring and swimming with my own children.  
 I am frustrated - I am cross..  Why I am asked to 'play nice' with a team that is under performing,  and why are we explaining and apologising to staff?    The twitter feeds and FB status say it all - teachers work hard, they deserve to be paid... and its actually about the stress... they should be thinking about their classrooms and students and their own families not stressing about mortgage payments and getting to visit the bank manager.    We know this isn't going to go away - so how will I deal with the next SUE report that has just as many errors - Leave at 5:00pm to swim with my kids or stay and fight for staff to get paid?    This week one staff member was paid for working 27hours on one day - I need 27 hours in one day.    
NO I need those with power to sit up and take notice,  I need those in the 'know' to make the tough decisions so that I can focus on the things that are important.

Our jobs are never ending, the list is never completely ticked off and for some of us that it the constant battle we face in trying to balance the professional with the personal...   Well at the moment the scales are tipped at all the wrong angles for all the wrong reasons.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment